Sunday, April 29, 2012

Extracts from Gordana's diaries

By Gordana Popovic in Maban, Upper Nile state

Because of very hot weather, too much dust and the fact that our office is in the tukul (open space with a thatch roof) it is hard to stay focussed... Heat, flies, sweat and noise of numerous communications.

Add the outdoor noise of chickens, dogs, donkeys and children from the nearby village. Colleagues from NGOs that don't have internet access come to our office to send reports and make phone calls.

It feels as if we are sitting in the middle of a very busy market.

* * *

I stare up at the thatched roof.

A few days ago I participated in a meeting in this tukul. A guy came in. Paying no attention to us, he lay down on a wooden traditional bed with knitted rope as a base, and had a nap. Right in the middle of our meeting!  I could not believe my eyes...

I am in the same tukul waiting for a ride back to the office. I'm uncomfortable in my chair. Time is passing slowly. It's extremely hot.

My colleague lays on the traditional bed. I watch her as my discomfort grows. I hesitate. Then I decide to give it a try.

Slowly I lay down on the bed, as if I'm doing something terribly wrong. Wow, what a pleasure! It feels so good... so right!

My colleague gets up and leaves. I am alone reclining in the middle of the meeting room! People walk past. They look at me.

At first I'm a bit uncomfortable. Then I'm less uncomfortable. In the end, I'm not uncomfortable at all. It doesn't matter.

I stare up at the roof... such a beautiful sight.

* * *

I am impressed by women in Maban. They are always dressed up, their hair groomed. The cloth they wear is beautiful, colourful, light... flowing in the wind. The colours are unbelievable. I haven't yet seen one in dull colours. No browns, no greys, no backs...

The beauty in this photo lives in a thatched house with mud floors. She has many children. There is no running water. Like all women here, she spends several hours a day fetching water, collecting firewood, cooking and attending to her kids. And always, she looks fabulous!



2 comments:

  1. Yes,quite an interestig place,Maban...the heat and dust makes it impossible to take a nap in the tents.the only option is the traditional bed in the middle of the 'office'..just be careful not to snore!!LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. People assume you folks are in air conditioned offices and accommodation!

      Delete